Moore Square is one of two surviving downtown parks outlined in William Christmas’ 1792 plan for the development of downtown Raleigh. The plan called for four four-acre parks to be arranged symmetrically around the Capitol Plaza. The other surviving park is Nash Square. Moore square lies in the heart of the Moore Square Historic District. It was named after Alfred E. Moore, a North Carolina judge who served as an associate justice on the Supreme Court.